Dear Parents and Guardians:
The Attendance Committee would like to take this opportunity to point out some of the high points regarding attendance at Midland Academy.
- The State of Texas requires compulsory attendance of all children aged six (6) through eighteen (18).
- The State of Texas also requires that a student attend school regularly once the child has been enrolled into a public, private, or charter school.
- The State of Texas also requires attendance for credit. Midland Academy requires that all students be in school 95% of the school year.
- In order to meet this standard, a child cannot have more than nine (9) absence issues throughout the school year.
- Midland Academy requires any documentation for doctor’s, dentists, and therapy appointments to be submitted NO LATER than two (2) days following your child’s absence from school in order to change the absence to excused.
- Documentation will be taken after the two (2) days expire, but the absence will remain unexcused.
- Midland Academy will consider ALL absences (excused and unexcused) when considering applying for credit to move to the next grade.
- The Attendance Committee will conduct weekly monitoring of your child’s attendance (tardies, early outs, and absences will be included). If a child exceeds the allowable amount for the six weeks or year, a letter will be mailed. If the problem continues, you will be asked to attend a meeting with the committee to discuss the issues.
- If your child has five (5) tardies or early outs, it will equal one (1) unexcused absence.
- Absences for quarantine for COVID19 do NOT count against your child’s attendance and will all be changed to excused absences.
If you have questions or concerns about the attendance policy, please feel free to contact one of the Attendance Committee members for clarification. Thank you for the opportunity to work with your children.
If the nurse sends your child home sick after 9 am, it does not count against them.
If your child has a doctor's note for a tardy/ early out, it does not count against them as long as the note is turned in by 2 days.