Dear Parents and Guardians,
Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that the Midland Academy Charter School has made preparations to respond effectively to such situations. Public schools in Texas are required to meet stringent disaster response standards, and that is a responsibility we take very seriously at this campus.
Midland Academy administration has identified a Building Emergency Response Team and maintains a current Building Emergency Operations Plan. Every staff member is trained in the appropriate responses and their responsibilities.
In the event of a disaster during school hours, your student(s) will be cared for at this school. Midland Academy has formulated a detailed disaster plan to respond to any crisis situation.
Your cooperation is vital in any emergency. In case of emergency, please help us by doing the following:
• Do not telephone the school. Telephone lines will be needed for emergency communication. Any large overload of services may result in the entire phone system shutting down, disabling phone contact with emergency personnel. It is important for parents not to telephone the school, though this is likely in contradiction of your parental instincts.
• In the event of a serious incident, students will be kept at Midland Academy until they are picked up by an identified, responsible adult who has been designated as such on our school’s emergency card which is filled out by parents at the beginning of the year. Please be sure you consider the following criteria when you authorize another person to pick up your child at school:
• They are 18 years of age
• They are usually home during the day
• They could walk to school, if necessary
• They are known to your child
• They are both aware and able to assume this responsibility
• Impress upon your children the need for them to remain calm and quiet and follow the direction of any school personnel in times of an emergency.
Students will be released only to parents and persons identified on Midland Academy’s Emergency Card. They will be asked for picture identification. During an extreme emergency, students will be released at a designated reunion location. Our location is First United Methodist Church 300 N. Main Midland, TX 79701. Parents should plan on being patient and understanding with the student release process. It is a methodical process designed to ensure that your child has been released to the adult of your choice or is being taken care of by us until you, the parent/guardian, arrives. Please instruct your student to remain at school until you or a designee arrives.
Our disaster responses include:
Fire drills simulate incidents such as fire or explosions and are practiced every month that includes 10 or more instructional days. Each classroom has a fire evacuation route posted on the wall. Students are instructed to quickly and quietly exit the building.
SHELTER IN PLACE
Shelter in place procedures are implemented in the event of a police emergency near the school or an intruder in the school. Also known as “lockdown procedures,” the hallways are cleared and all classrooms are locked. A hazardous release event, like a chemical spill, could also cause to initiate shelter in place procedures.
Our campus is equipped with several weather safe areas that do not have windows. In the event that tornadoes are touching down in the vicinity, students would be moved to the weather-safe areas until the severe weather subsides. The office staff is continuously monitoring the weather for any signs of trouble so that we are prepared to move students quickly.
Please discuss these matters with your family. You may even want to begin your own family plan of action. We like to call it planning for the worst, but expecting the best. Thanks for your cooperation.
Midland Academy Staff